Home Who We Insure Insurance Products Customer Partners Insurers Testimonials About Home Emergency Claims Quotes Forms Bookmark/Favorite this page Share this page Print this page Southwest Truck Insurance Agency

General Questions

1. What makes Southwest different from other truck insurance providers?
At Southwest you deal directly with LIVE insurance professionals who specialize in truck insurance. There’s no uninformed general agent to deal with, no voice mail and no foreign operators standing by to take your call at some office in Uzbekistan. Real people still answer our phones. If you have a claim you will deal directly with our in-house licensed truck insurance professionals. Our people do nothing but work on truck insurance all day long. They’re experts at getting you back on the road fast. We’re in this business because we like truckers.

2. Why should I choose Southwest?
Over 80% of our customers have been with us for many, many years. The other 20% are the ones who just learned of us more recently. They are all truckers and they would nearly all recommend us to others based on the excellent service they received. This is unheard of with other companies.

3. My truck dealer wants to package my insurance with my loan. Is this a good idea?
Almost never! Not only will you pay a higher premium, but you will most likely pay interest charges as well. Furthermore, the salesman usually earns an additional commission for packaging insurance with your note.

4. I just purchased a truck of very high value. Will Southwest be able to insure it?
Yes, we can insure equipment up to $300,000 in value. Only a handful of tractor and tractor-trailer combinations would exceed this limit. In most cases we can accommodate the high value truck insurance needs of leased owner operators.

5. Is non-trucking liability insurance the same as bobtail coverage?
People commonly refer to non-trucking liability insurance as bobtail coverage. Technically bobtail coverage is different than non-trucking liability insurance. The distinctions, however, are somewhat subtle and complex. As a general rule, most leased owner operators carry non-trucking liability truck insurance even though they might refer to it as “bobtail coverage.” We sell non-trucking liability truck insurance. If your trucking company says they require you to carry “bobtail coverage” ask them if they really mean non-trucking liability. Usually they do.

6. What type of insurance coverage do I need to obtain my registration and tags?
If you operate under your own authority (not leased to a motor carrier) primary commercial auto liability truck insurance is required to register your truck and obtain tags. If you are leased to a motor carrier, your fleet or trucking company should provide your primary liability and cargo insurance coverage. You should obtain a liability certificate of insurance (or “cab card”) from your fleet to present to the tag office. We also suggest that you take a copy of your non-trucking liability certificate of insurance and lease agreement along as well. Physical damage and non-trucking liability truck insurance alone is not sufficient for you to obtain your registration and tags.

7. If I am involved in an accident which coverage will pay for damages to my truck?
Physical damage coverage pays for collision damage to your equipment.

8. My trucking company insists I purchase insurance from them. Can they force me to do this?
Generally no. Many trucking companies offer an insurance program that is deducted from your settlement for convenience. Most of the time you are able to buy your own truck insurance. Check with your company first. Then get a quote from us and see just how much you can save.

9. I have a loan on my truck, and my lien holder/finance company wants proof of my truck insurance coverage. What should I send them?
Lien holders/finance companies want proof of your physical damage truck insurance coverage. Just give us a call and we’ll handle this for you.

10. Do I need physical damage truck insurance if I pay off the loan on my truck?
No, but it is highly recommended. Remember that physical damage truck insurance covers your truck for collision, fire, theft, and vandalism at all times, whether you have a loan or not. You want to protect your investment in the truck whether you owe anything or not.

11. Any tips for reducing my premiums?
Run safe, keep your MVR's clean, and avoid claims.

Many of our policies qualify for additional discounts if you pay your monthly premium using one of our automatic payment options. We also offer discounts under most policies for an approved anti-theft device. Call one of our agents today to see if you qualify.

12. Can I keep my current coverage if I change trucking companies?
Usually yes, and better yet, your rate should not change. However, circumstances differ that my affect your policy premium. Please remember that it is extremely important that you notify us any time you change companies.

Primary Liability Insurance

1. What does Primary Liability Insurance Cover?
This coverage option protects you from damage or injuries to other people as a result of a truck accident. You select your limit of coverage at the time of purchase.

2. What Primary Liability limit do I need?
Tractor Trailers require a minimum limit of $750,000 for interstate operation, all other vehicles require coverage amounts according to the laws in their base state.

3. Is Primary Liability Coverage required by law to operate my commercial vehicle?

4. Am I covered if I travel over state lines?
Yes, coverage will travel over state lines depending on the radius on your policy.

5. What determines the premiums of my primary liability coverage?
Premiums for Primary Liability coverage are determined by several factors including:
  • Driving Record
  • Garage Location
  • Limit of Liability Coverage Desired
  • Type of Operation
  • Condition and age of equipment
  • Commodities hauled
  • Prior Claims History

6. How long will it take you to bind my policy?
It depends on your exact situation. Many policies can be bound in less than 24 hours; others may take slightly longer.

7. How do I add or delete a driver from my policy?
Adding a driver to your policy requires a written request from the insured. Obtain the drivers name, date of birth, and license number and fax the information along with a written request to add the driver to 972.659.0713.

8. How do I add or delete a vehicle from my policy?
Adding or deleting a vehicle requires a written request from the insured. Obtain the VIN number, year, make and model and fax this along with a written request to 972.659.0713.

Motor Truck Cargo

1. What does Motor Truck Cargo Insurance cover?
Cargo Insurance covers the cargo you are hauling for a shipper, up to a set limit pre-determined by you at the time of policy purchase.

2. Am I required by federal law to carry Motor Truck Cargo?
No. It may be required by the company doing the shipping though.

3. What determines the limit of Motor Truck Cargo I should carry?
Ask the company you are hauling for what their cargo coverage requirements are.

Bobtail / Non-Trucking Liability / Deadhead

1. What is the difference between Non-Trucking Liability, Bobtail, and Deadhead Coverage?
These are all different terms for the same type of coverage. They provide coverage protection for your truck when you are off the job (i.e. Getting the truck washed, repaired). While you are working, the company you are leased onto is responsible for your insurance coverage.

2. What do I need in order to obtain Bobtail/Non-Trucking Liability Coverage?
  • A permanent lease agreement
  • Truck year, make, VIN #
  • Drivers Name, License #, Date of Birth

3. Why do I need Bobtail/Non-Trucking Liability Insurance?
The company you haul for only covers your insurance when you are working or hauling for them. When you are not working (i.e. getting repairs, getting the truck washed) the bobtail/Non-Trucking Liability Policy covers you.

4. What happens if I change the company I am leased onto?
When changing a lease agreement, fax a copy of the new lease to our office at 972.659.0713. Also fax a request for us to change your policy to reflect the new company you are working for.